Today is the day that the last clubs position players report for camp. Most major leaguers have been in camp since last week though. This is an exciting week as the first Spring Games starts later this week. I can almost smell the baseball now.
Here are my brief notes from the NL East.
- Mark Bowman reported that the Braves were trying to sign veteran reliever and Braves fan favorite, Peter Moylan. As a Braves fan it would be great to see Moylan back for one last hoorah.
- Andruw Jones was in camp on Sunday as a special instructor and today the Braves are expecting Hall of Famer, Chipper Jones in camp.
- Two Marlins, third baseman Martin Prada and shortstop JT Riddle are still recovering from 2017 surgeries and wont be ready for Spring Training games until mid-March.
- The Marlins’ 11th ranked prospect, Dillon Peters, will get the start on Friday in the new look Marlins’ first Spring Training game against the Cardinals at the Robert Dean Chevrolet Stadium.
New York Mets
- GM Sandy Alderson said he thinks Tim Tebow will play in the majors one day. Surely this is just some PR. There’s no way Tebow has the goods. Who knows, maybe a September call up to sell a few tickets when the Mets are out of the running? Anything is possible in baseball.
- GM Sandy Alderson also said the 2018 Mets are complete and that they’re done shopping. Not a bad offseason at all for the Mets. Some believe they still need some left handed relief pitching.
- The Phillies singed 32 year old lefty veteran, Fernando Abad to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. He will compete with Adam Morgan, Hoby Milner and Zac Curtis for a spot in the bullpen. Abad was good for the Red Sox last season posting a 3.30 ERA in 43 and 2/3 innings.
- Koda Glover has not thrown a bullpen session yet in Nationals camp as he struggles with right shoulder soreness due to inflammation. This is not good news for the Nationals. Last season Glover missed most of the season due to inflammation in his rotator cuff. He pitched 19 and 1/3 innings in 2017.